Captain Charles Bureau began construction on his hotel before 1907. However by 1913, the building was still not finished. Bureau rented rooms to businesseswhile construction continued throughout the years. Lawyer, Judge, and one time Mayor, William Compton Brown used one of the lower rooms facing First Avenueas an office. Eiler's Music House, a chain from Seattle, set up shop, as well.